THE UNITED REPUBLIC OF TANZANIA MINISTRY OF HEALTH, COMMUNITY DEVELOPMENT, GENDER, ELDERLY AND CHILDREN
TANZANIA MEDICINES AND MEDICAL DEVICES AUTHORITY
ISO 9001: 2015 CERTIFIED
DESIGNATION OF TMDA AS REGULATOR OF TOBACCO PRODUCTS
- Pursuant to Section 18 of the Tobacco Products (Regulations) Act, Cap 121, the Minister of Health, Community Development, Gender, Elderly and Children has designated the Tanzania Medicines and Medical Devices Authority (TMDA) as the regulator of tobacco products.
- This designation has been delineated in the Tobacco Products (Regulations) (Designation of Inspectors) Notice, GN 360, published on 30/4/2021.
- In accordance with this designation, the TMDA will now assume the roles of inspection, enforcement and regulation of tobacco products.
- It should be noted that, prior to this directive, there was no regulator of such products in Tanzania and this has unequivocally contributed to upsurge of non-communicable diseases (NCDs) related to tobacco use.
- In connection to this, the TMDA is currently consolidating a framework for regulation of such products and all dealers and stakeholders will be notified on the next steps to streamline the process.
- The Tobacco Products (Regulations) (Designation of Inspectors) GN No. 360 published on 30/4/2021 can be accessed here
Tanzania Medicines and Medical Devices Authority (TMDA),
P. O. Box 1253, Dodoma Or
P. O. Box 77150, Dar es Salaam
Tell: +255 22 2452108/2450512/2450751