Posted On: May 24, 2022
THE UNITED REPUBLIC OF TANZANIA
MINISTRY OF HEALTH
TANZANIA MEDICINES AND MEDICAL DEVICES AUTHORITY
ISO 9001: 2015: CERTIFIED
20th May, 2022
PROHIBITION OF UNLAWFUL ADVERTISEMENT OF TOBACCO PRODUCTS
- Tanzania Medicines and Medical Devices Authority (TMDA) a designated regulator of tobacco products since 30th April 2021 (Notice, GN 360), wishes to inform its esteemed customers and stakeholders that, it has noted unlawful commercial advertisements of one cigarette by the brand name “Tembo Cigarette” through Newspapers and Personal Instagram Account of one musical artist.
- On both media platforms, the artist is inviting any manufacturer willing to collaborate with him or his company to manufacture a cigarette that will go by the above-highlighted name to express interest.
- Such advertisements are contrary to section 17 (3) of the Tobacco Products (Regulation) Act, Cap. 121. The section prohibits any person or entity from advertising tobacco products unless the advertisement aims to educate the public on the health risk associated with the use of such products.
- In this context, the Authority wishes to direct all involved parties to stop such advertisements with immediate effect. Furthermore, the Authority wishes to remind media owners in the country and artists to abstain from broadcasting any advertisements related to tobacco products unless the advert or promotional material is approved by TMDA.
- Your cooperation in this matter will be highly appreciated.
Tanzania Medicines and Medical Devices Authority (TMDA),
P. O. Box 1253, Dodoma
Tel; +255 222 450512/658 445222/777 700002
PFax; +255 222450793
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org; Website: www.tmda.go.tz