THE UNITED REPUBLIC OF TANZANIA MINISTRY OF HEALTH, COMMUNITY DEVELOPMENT, GENDER, ELDERLY AND CHILDREN
TANZANIA MEDICINES AND MEDICAL DEVICES AUTHORITY
ISO 9001: 2015 CERTIFIED
NOTIFICATION OF TOBACCO PRODUCTS CIRCULATING IN TANZANIA
- The Tanzania Medicines and Medical Devices Authority (TMDA) has recently been mandated to regulate tobacco products in Tanzania.
- In this context and as a preliminary step in setting-up a regulatory framework, all dealers of tobacco products i.e. manufacturers, importers, wholesalers and distributors are directed to notify the Authority on tobacco products they are dealing with.
- Pursuant to para 2 above, the information should be submitted in Notification Form attached with this notice and also available online at www.tmda.go.tz
- It should be noted that the period of notification will be from 1st July, 2021 to 1st January, 2022.
- Beginning 1st January, 2022, the TMDA will commence the process of registration of all tobacco products including those manufactured within and outside the country.
- The TMDA further wishes to clarify that the concerned tobacco products that are referred to in this notice embraces the following:
- Processed tobacco leaves, extracts of tobacco leaves, cigarettes, cigars and cigarius;
- Hand rolling tobacco and other smoking tobacco products such as pipe tobacco;
- Any chewing tobacco which is manufactured wholly or partly from tobacco or any substance used as a substitute of tobacco;
- E-cigarettes; and
- Any other related products containing nicotine.
- The mandate to regulate tobacco products has been extended to TMDA to fight the upsurge of non-communicable diseases (NCDs) related to the use of such products which had been recorded in recent times.
- The TMDA anticipates full cooperation on this matter and lets join forces to protect public health.
Tanzania Medicines and Medical Devices Authority (TMDA),
P. O. Box 1253, Dodoma Or
P. O. Box 77150, Dar es Salaam
Phone: +255 22 2452108/2450512/2450751
Fax: +255 22 2450793